Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Baby Update

16 weeks, 4 days
 This morning I had my 16 weeks prenatal visit.  It took a few minutes for the midwife to find the heartbeat, but she found it and the heartbeat is in the 150s.

I am still dealing with morning sickness.  Brushing my teeth always results in gagging and often results in vomiting.  The midwife offered to give me medication for the morning sickness, but I think I am dealing with it fine enough that I don't need anything.  I am usually feeling fine by lunch time and I'm one of those people who tries to avoid prescription medication whenever possible.  I don't even like to take Tylenol.  I am like this all the time, not just when pregnant.

I have decided not to do the AFP quad screening.  I had the screening with my other three pregnancies, but after a false positive during my pregnancy with R, I decided that I would never have the test again.  The false positive caused a lot of undue stress for me and I really want to enjoy every minute of this pregnancy, even the queasy minutes!  I wasn't sure how my midwife would react to my decision, but she told me that she does not like the test and thinks it is a good decision.  Also, an ultrasound is a better indicator of any potential problems.

Speaking of ultrasounds, I scheduled mine for April 20th!  We have found out the gender every time so far, and we will find out this time too.  I thought it might be fun to see what you think I am having!  Here are a few details to help with your guess:
  • I have two boys and one girl
  • This pregnancy has come with more morning sickness than any other 
  • I had no heartburn with either of my boys and a lot of heartburn with my daughter; I haven't had any heartburn during this pregnancy
  • The heartbeat has been in the 150s/160s each time
  • The ultrasound I had at 12 weeks and the doppler today both picked up a lot of movement; this is a very active baby!
  • I have not been overly emotional this pregnancy, just a little grouchy
  • I crave mashed potatoes
  • C and R both think I am having a girl (C's reasoning is that it would be fair - so like him to think that way; R is just hoping for a sister)
I don't know that these details mean anything, but I thought I would share them just in case they help with your guess!  So what do you think, is it a girl or a boy?  

21 comments:

Jenny said...

You look great! I'm thinking it's a boy.

MaryAnne said...

What a cute baby bump! I'll guess girl =)

Anonymous said...

Yay for a baby bump picture!! You look great! Yay for a good visit. We didn't do the screening either.. to us it wouldn't have changed what we would have done so it would have just added stress. I think its a girl :-)

Annette W. said...

Yay!

You look so cute!

BOY is my guess. Just because of previous odds. :)

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I am glad to know that all is going well. I had amnio with Anna, because I really wanted to know if everything is OK. Waiting for amnio results was excruciating though. My guess is that it's a girl :)

Julie said...

I'm glad you had such a good visit. I'm going to guess BOY!

Unknown said...

Pregnancy looks beautiful on you...


I am totally sticking with C and R- who can argue with reasoning like that? :0)

Debbie said...

You look great! Love the baby bump!

I have to guess a boy, just because your symptoms sound so much like mine when I carried my son.

Chelsea said...

You look fantastic, and I'm so glad to hear that everything was okay with the checkup, and that at least the sickness seems to subside by lunch now. My guess is a girl, but either way it will be a blessing, and it will be so much fun to hear about the exploits of your family's new superhero or princess.

Brimful Curiosities said...

That's such a cute shirt and you do look wonderful!

I'm never good at the guessing game. However, my daughter is 4 for 4 so far when she's guessed about various relatives and friends! I'll have to ask her after school today. :)

Robin said...

I am hoping girl so R has a little sister! But another boy would be fun too! You look great and make me miss being pregnant! xx

Susana said...

You look great! So adorably cute:-)!! Love this picture.

I hope your sickness goes away so soon. The longest mine ever stuck around was about 22 weeks and it seemed like 22 years:-).

Looking forward to your appt on the 20th--I bet you cannot wait!

I have no idea what you are having, but I'm hoping for a girl for you!!

Rebecca said...

Yay for belly pics! I need to take some soon- before the baby comes, haha! You look great :) And great job doing no meds! Im the same way :) Hmm, they say if the heart is 160 or above its a girl and below 160 is a boy. And this has been true for most the people i know! So i dont know what to guess, haha. This is the first time we have been surprised and not found out the sex and im so glad i only have 7 weeks to go because i can't wait to find out! Even though my guess is a boy ;) My guess for you would be a girl i think :)

Anonymous said...

You look fabulous!! What a great check up too. We didn't have testing with any of our kiddos either...we wouldn't have done anything different so why bother with the stress. I'm still hoping your morning sickness ends soon!
I'll guess a girl, just to even things up for R :)

Ticia said...

Hmmmm, I'll say boy.

Though my girl was the more active one...... Probably because she had more room.

ariellapapa.com said...

You look great. Cute shirt and bump.

I am thinking BOY!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

You really look terrific! I carried my boys straight out front, and my girls at the back - if that helps :) We always found out ahead too, it's so nice to know what color clothes to have ready.

Karen Wilson said...

For some reason, all along I have been thinking you are having a girl. I even told someone I had a new niece on the way, and then I realized later what I said. Not sure why, maybe just because it would be fair. : )

Vanessa (Housewives Inc) said...

Well I can say with certainty that you are definitely having a boy or a girl - ha ha - now if you give birth to a puppy THAT would be a surprise!! ;-P

Unknown said...

How cute is that little baby bump?!?! You look fabulous. My guess is girl.

Peterson Party said...

Girl! :)