Friday, March 25, 2011

Bubble Wrap Painting Easter Art

I have a ridiculously large stash of bubble wrap left over from when we moved over a year ago.  Whenever possible, I try to think of different ways to use it up.  This week we did some bubble wrap painting.


I gave C and R bubble wrap, paint, large sheets of white construction paper, and paint brushes.  They began by painting the bubble wrap.


Then, they pressed the painted bubble wrap down onto the construction paper, repeating this until the paper was covered to their satisfaction.

R completed one (the colors she chose remind me of Mardi Gras):


C completed two works of art, one with stripes and one with purposeful egg shapes:



After the paint dried, the purposeful Easter egg picture was covered in clear contact paper to make a placemat. 


I cut out Easter egg shapes from the other two works of art.  R then decided she wanted a placemat, so she arranged her egg shapes on clear contact paper and we covered them with another piece of clear contact paper.



C still has some Easter egg shapes left that we will use for decorating or something else yet to be determined.

I really love the way the eggs came out.  I think we will try to use bubble wrap to decorate real eggs for Easter this year. 


We all enjoyed reading Here Comes T. Rex Cottontail by Lois G. Grambling.  When the Easter Bunny gets a cold, he asks T. Rex to deliver eggs for him on Easter morning.  T. Rex began preparing for the big day by practicing his hopping and he accidentally stumbled and fell on the Easter Bunny's basketful of eggs that had been colored for Easter.  T. Rex's friends search to find eggs and together they all color the eggs they manage to find.  The surprise comes after the eggs are all delivered, and I'll let you read the book to find out what happens!

11 comments:

Jennifer said...

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Sadly, I don't think I have any bubble wrap laying around! Sigh!

Ticia said...

I want T-Rex cotton-tail.

Ahhh bubble wrap. My kids have discovered the joy of popping it, so it doesn't stay around all that long anymore.

Debbie said...

I tried something like this a while back, but Selena just got disappointed at how the paint went onto the bubble wrap. Maybe when she is a bit older to understand the concept better. Love their eggs.

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I was just looking at our stash of bubble wrap, and wondering if I should keep it, or let the kids have at popping it, and throw it away - but the painting looks like fun!

MaryAnne said...

You have me very curious about that book. The bubble wrap painting looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

Adorable!! I love the striped one that C did. The colors are very Easter like! I love the finished placemats! Bubble wrap doesn't last long here! Sammy will play with it for hours until every last bubble is popped!

Elle Belles Bows said...

As always! Great idea!

I love that you make your placemats!

Kerri

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

Oh, both the book and the project look very exciting. I guess it's time to get geared up for Easter season :)

Daycare Headquarters said...

Wow do those eggs turn out cute using the bubble wrap. I know my home daycare children will love this. Thanks for the great idea. I love finding new things.
Angela
http://www.daycareheadquarters.com

Anonymous said...

The prints turned out cute. My kids wouldn't be able to resist popping the bubble wrap!

Unknown said...

This looks like so much fun! Something about bubble wrap that kids just love!