Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How Many Hands? A Math Lesson

Do you remember my post on Sunday about R being a whole hand?  When we were talking about her being a whole hand, she asked, "How many hands are you, Mom?".  Well, if that doesn't smell like an excuse for a fun math activity then I don't know what does.


I began by tracing R's hands onto paper and then making copies on colored card stock.  I cut out a bunch of hands.  I printed copies of twenty hands so that we can use the hands another day to work on counting by fives up to one hundred.

R and I sat together and figured out how many hands each member of our immediate family needs to display their age. 

We began with her age - one whole hand:

Then I asked her how many hands we needed for C - age six.  She looked a bit puzzled until I told her that some numbers may need less than a whole hand, and that she could use the individual fingers.


Next came T - age thirteen.  R knew exactly what to do this time.

When it came time to figure out how many hands for Mom and Dad, I tried to show her why it is easier to count by fives sometimes, but she still insisted on counting each and every finger to figure out my age in hands.


Once she had my age figured out though, I explained to her that she already knew how many fingers were there, so she just had to think about how many fingers had to be taken away to get to Dad's age.  She did this quickly.  

I will laminate all of the hands this week to make them durable so that we can work on counting by fives.

For the record, I am not two years older than my husband; he has not had his birthday yet this year.  He loves to say that I am two years older when our number ages suggest that we are though. 

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a great way to figure out people's age! Looks like R had a lot of fun counting!

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

This is terrific! It's so great when those learning opportunities just pop up naturally. I can't wait to try this out on C's birthday!

Ticia said...

Ha ha ha ha ha, those poor amputated hands.

Surprsingly enough my kids haven't really asked about how old I am. They make a lot of guesses, which always crack me up. I've been everything from 8 to 58

phasejumper said...

I'm a year and a half older than my husband, and he thinks that's funny, too!

Joyful Learner said...

This is a wonderful activity for counting by fives! Can I get your permission to include a link on my side bar for math ideas? Thanks.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

This is an awesome idea! I love how she was able to just subtract from your age to arrive to daddy's age.

MaryAnne said...

I love this idea! I'm one month and three days older than Mike, and he LOVES to point out that I'm a year older for those 34 days...

Christy Killoran said...

@Joyful Learner - Of course, you have permission to include a link on your side bar. Thank you!!!

Chelsea said...

What a fantastic idea!!! Thanks for sharing.

Sherri said...

Great lesson!!!
I may just do the same thing....your brilliant!

Jenny said...

What a fun lesson! I think I'll do this with Abby. She can count by 5's, but this is a great way to SEE it.