Monday, March 7, 2011

Baked Alaska


We are currently studying the state of Alaska, and I love to make state specific foods for our state studies.  Yes, I know that Baked Alaska is not a traditional Alaskan food, but there is no way that C would ever eat salmon or Alaskan king crab.  I did read a nice analogy comparing the meringue on a Baked Alaska to an igloo because the meringue shields everything inside from the elements!  That seemed like a good enough reason to go ahead and make the dessert!

I followed directions found on the Betty Crocker website.  I'm not going to repeat the recipe here, but you can click here if you are interested in making this and would like the recipe.

This is what it looked like before we put the meringue on  the dessert.
The base of our Baked Alaska is a brownie and we made it from scratch following the above mentioned recipe.  For ice cream flavors, we used vanilla, cherry vanilla, and chocolate.

If you have never made Baked Alaska before, it is not an instant gratification dessert.  It took us two days from start to finish!  I don't really think I will make it again, but it was good.  I didn't eat the meringue though; I am a very paranoid pregnant person and I just don't trust that all of the egg whites were cooked enough in the three minutes they spent in the oven.  C and R ate the meringue though; I was surprised by this!  In my opinion, meringue looks SO much better than it tastes!!

12 comments:

Susana said...

This looks SO good Christy! Oh, I think I may have to make this for a family night!!

Debbie said...

I have never had Alaska Bake, never really heard of it. I am with you on meringue, it isn't something I could eat by itself.

MaryAnne said...

I love meringue, although I would be paranoid too if I were pregnant.

Your baked Alaska looks delicious!

Ticia said...

Oh man I love meringues, but that is an usually low cook time.

But, I'm guessing it's a much higher temperature than you normally cook it at.

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

I love meringues, but I am too lazy to make them, especially considering that Lars doesn't like them. This cake looks fantastic, but I think this is something I'd rather eat at the restaurant :)

Becky said...

Cool idea. I didn't know the egg whites were a problem for pregnant women. I just thought the egg yolk was the concern.

Sherri said...

Wow! This is awesome! I have never made baked Alaska...but when we make our way to Alaska...I will use your fantastic excuse to make this part of the study! =)

Jenny said...

That looks like an igloo, so that counts!

I don't care for meringue either.

Goose and Bug said...

I'm with you, the inside looks ammaazzing! But I can't eat meringue (or calf slobbers as they're called around here!) either. Too foamy for me. :s

Valerie @ Inner Child Fun said...

Wow!! That looks amazing!!!! I had baked Alaska on a cruise once.... so much work involved in the prep, but it is so delicious!

Lynn said...

Catching up on some old posts I meant to comment on. I'm so impressed - your meringue is gorgeous! My husband is from New Zealand, and their most famous dessert there is called Pavlova... it's a plain meringue topped with whipped cream and fresh fruit. It made me love meringue. But now my son is allergic to eggs, so no meringue in our house for awhile.

Susana said...

I'm still dying to make this!