Thursday, March 24, 2011

Easter Egg Sun Catcher


We are big fans of The Berenstain Bears; the books always teach great lessons.  This week we read The Berenstain Bears and the Real Easter Eggs by Stan and Jan Berenstain.  This book begins with Sister's excitement about holidays because she likes to "get stuff".  The excitement continues, and spreads to Brother and Papa, when the giant Beartown Easter Egg Hunt is announced along with the display of all of the wonderful candy prizes.  During the egg hunt, Brother and Sister come across a nest with real robin eggs in it; they watch the eggs hatch and the mother and father robins care for the babies for a long time.  In the end, they realize that candy is quickly gone, but the wonder of Easter and its message of new life will stay with them forever.  While this book is written with an emphasis on the secular aspects of Easter, the message is nice for everyone and there is no mention of the Easter Bunny.  

After reading this book, R wanted to make an Easter egg decoration because we have yet to put out any decorations for Easter.  I kept it simple with an easy contact paper and pink and purple tissue paper sun catcher craft.


R tore little pieces of tissue paper and stuck them on a piece of clear contact paper that I had cut out in the shape of an egg.


After she covered the entire sticky surface of contact paper, I covered the tissue paper side with another piece of sticky contact paper.


We placed the Easter egg sun catcher on our sliding glass door, and I realized that every time we make a sun catcher there is no sign of sun in the sky.

I am linking this to stArt (story + art = a great start) at A Mommy's Adventures.   Click on over there for more book inspired art and crafts.

11 comments:

An Almost Unschooling Mom said...

I'm sure when the sun is shining, that it's even prettier. I've been known to stand outside, and shine a flashlight through ours to get good pictures :)

Anonymous said...

I love how this looks up on the door! I am sure when the sun is shinning it will be even prettier! I love the berenstain bears!

Ticia said...

I so need to do another one of those crafts. I was actually just thinking about that the other day.

Unknown said...

What an "egg"-stra special craft! (hee! hee!)

Unknown said...

What an "egg"-stra special craft! (hee! hee!)

MaryAnne said...

We should make some Easter sun catchers like this! And that Berenstain book sounds nice.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I saved some tissue paper from the birthday parties just so we could make some Easter suncatchers. Love the purple and pinks in R's egg!

Natalie PlanetSmarty said...

It's a very pretty craft. We read that book too some time ago, and I agree that it's very nice.

Jenny said...

Fun! I love Berenstain Bears too!

Debbie said...

This is so pretty. It has inspired me to continue forward with my idea for our church bulletin board.

Elle Belles Bows said...

Cute!

Hopefully we will have sun again soon. Snow here tomorrow. Sigh....

Hope you are well.

Kerri